636.333.9181 sr22@spectrumstl.com
If you are reading this, chances are you or someone close to you recently had an incident that is requiring an SR-22 to be filed. The SR-22 itself is a relatively inexpensive requirement, but the reason the filing is required is likely not-so-inexpensive. This is why it is important to work with a knowledgeable SR-22 specialist who will be your advisor throughout the process. Our agency represents many insurance companies so we can be sure to fit your unique situation with the carrier that offers the best value.

What is an SR-22?

SR-22, also known as SR-22 insurance or Certificate of Financial Responsibility, isn’t a type of car insurance at all, but verification that you’re maintaining car insurance liability coverage. This is required for a specified amount of time for the individual situation; typically 2-3 years. An SR-22 form is a state-mandated certificate you must request your car insurance company to file with your state’s Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

Who needs an SR-22?

An SR-22 is required when someone is caught doing any of the following:
  • A DUI or DWI or any serious moving violation
  • A serious at-fault accident
  • Driving while uninsured
  • Repeat traffic offenses or too many tickets in a short time period
Often, an SR-22 is required for reinstatement of a suspended or revoked license. Your state's Department of Motor Vehicles will inform you if you need to file an SR-22.

How do I get an SR-22?

Click here to apply for your Missouri SR-22. We make it simple to combine your car insurance with your SR-22 filing to obtain the best possible rate for your unique situation. For no additional cost, once coverage is bound, we do the SR-22 filing for you with the Missouri Department of Motor Vehicles.

If you have an SR-22 in one state but move to another, you’ll need to fulfill the SR-22 requirements for your former state, and your new liability limits will need to meet the minimums required by law in your former state.

What does an SR-22 cost?

Though it varies by state, car insurance companies will typically charge a small fee of $15 to $25 for filing an SR-22 form.

If you need an SR-22; you’ll first need to purchase a car insurance policy. Your car insurance rate will be determined based on all the factors that normally go into rating a policy. It is important to remember that car insurance companies consider drivers who need an SR-22 for the reasons listed above a greater risk to insure, so your car insurance rates will likely reflect the additional risk.

How long does an SR-22 have to be maintained?

In Missouri, if you were suspended for a Motor Vehicle Accident Judgment (Missouri or Out-of-State), you must maintain insurance on file with the Driver License Bureau for two years from the starting date of the suspension.

If you were suspended for False Insurance or Mandatory Insurance, you must maintain insurance on file with the Driver License Bureau for three years from the date you were eligible to reinstate. If the Mandatory Insurance suspension involved an accident, proof of insurance must be in the form of an SR-22 filing.

How can I avoid an SR-22 requirement?

You can avoid the complication and expense involved with an SR-22 filing by simply maintaining your car insurance and practicing safe driving. Here are a few useful reminders:
  • If you drink, don’t drive. DUIs and DWIs are the most common reasons for needing to file an SR-22 certificate.
  • Drive safe. Not only can too many moving violations result in an SR-22, they can significantly increase your car insurance premiums.
  • Maintain your auto insurance. If you don’t have car insurance and you’re pulled over, you’ll be required to prove financial responsibility by filing an SR-22.

10 + 8 =